Thursday, October 20, 2016

Print Advertisements are Funny too!!



This week’s advertisement for analysis is by Schick Razor blades. While a bit dated, it is comical and unique. I like this ad because it speaks to me as a consumer and answers the all-important question when purchasing products in this category. Will it shave super close to the skin leaving me touchily smooth?? To analyze this print ad, I will use the list of effective Print ads from Freedomnewsgroup.com
There are 10 elements to an effective ad;
  1. The product or service: The product in this ad is Schick Razor blades.
  2. Strategic Targeting: The ads persona needs is in line with target consumer market; females who shave.
  3. Provide a strong offer: The irresistible offer in this ad depicted on the tiger once the blade runs over it revealing touchily smooth skin.
  4. Creating a strong headline: I will imply the offer, this is the part at the bottom of the advertisement that says “The power of 4” in reference to the four powerful blades the product offers.
  5. Develop support for the offer: The strong proof is again represented in the tiger tattoo.
  6. Position value: position value of purchase to outweigh the price. I this ad the price is not indicated, nor is it compared to others for a price comparison.
  7. Include strong visual elements: such as pictures that illustrate the message of the headline. The product benefits are humorously represented in the tattoos touchily smooth skin.
  8. Creating a strong CTA or Call to action: This would include gifts, rewards, benefits, and other promotions with time dates to urge the consumer to purchase now. This ad is lacking one. An example of a CTA in this ad would be if it included a date to purchase the product and get blades free or on sale.
  9. Include a tracking mechanism:  This includes leads such as a coupon, dedicated phone number, landing page, etc. This ad is lacking in a tracking mechanism.
  10. Develop a simple clean ad layout: this ad does is not busy and filled with unnecessary images and words. The message is more powerful when the clutter is gone.


Here are other advertisements that follow the same simplicity model:
This ad stresses the importance of finding a car that truly fits both personality and physical body size!

Lastly, this ad reminds travelers that London is entering the perfect time of the year for travel, summertime!

What did you guys think of the Print advertisements of this post? Do you think they were successful in their attempts at being funny, why or why not?


6 comments:

  1. Haha I love the dino ad, very creative. I enjoy print advertisements quite a bit, but don't get exposed to them much because I don't generally read magazines. They can be 'funny' but I find myself being a hard critic when it comes to dry humor. The London ad is just dumb to me, the Schick ad is entertaining but the only thing that got me to even smile was the dinosaur advertisement. But when it comes to the things that compose a print advertisement, I think the listed elements are very important. The visual element is a must, the call to action, and creative wording/title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace! I tend to agree with you on the fact that I am less exposed to print advertisements and often miss their messages. Thanks for the insights on this post!!!

      Delete
  2. Great article. These are such creative ads. I love the London one, so funny but informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you !! I think that one is my favorite also!

      Delete
  3. Funny read! I enjoyed the print advertisements of this one.

    ReplyDelete